Wednesday, September 29, 2010

What is in Pam?

Confession: I am very skeptical of Pam cooking spray. What is in it? And how is it different than just buttering or greasing a pan? And why are there no calories in it?
While we are on the subject--"butter" for the popcorn at the movies? What in the world is in that? Real butter makes the popcorn wet--but this stuff doesn't. I suspect it is just butter flavored hydrogenated oil. Makes me a little nauseous just thinking about it.
I refuse to buy Pam or use it--and just substitute olive oil or butter instead. I am beginning to subscribe more and more to the theory--if you can't tell where it came from, don't eat it! Now, by employing this logic, I can rationalize a LOT. Cheesecake--eggs, butter, cream cheese. Yep, I can figure out where all those came from! Note: I'm not obsessive about this. We do eat things that are processed.
What ingredients do you refuse to use when you cook?

2 comments:

  1. All I know is that we take potential law suit claims at work for something called "popcorn lung" which is issues caused by exposure to the artificial butter and such....so you are correct about that weird stuff at the movies. (But I hate to admit that even with the knowledge I have, I still get it on my $8 tub of popcorn)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a few months, mostly since we started raising laying hens in our back yard, I've refused to cook meat. I can't heat up Foster Farms chicken nuggets without seeing those images of the hen houses from "Food Inc.". Insta-vegetarians. Seems to be working out...=)

    ReplyDelete