Monday, October 11, 2010

Fooled them! Deceptive Mashed Potatoes


I bought the Deceptively Delicious cookbook a few years ago, and have only made a few things from it. But, I have heard that cauliflower can be mixed or substituted for mashed potatoes and I was willing to try it. The recipe was in the cookbook, so I thought I would give it a go! Truthfully, cauliflower is not my favorite veggie and Jamie will not eat it. The jury is still out on Ryan, but since we don't like it much, Ryan hasn't had it much.
I bought some cauliflower last week and decided to try it tonight. I had to make some modifications since I didn't have any buttermilk. But this is my version!

4 medium sized red potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
skim milk (didn't measure)
3/4 cup of pureed cauliflower
salt and pepper
Parmesan cheese

For the pureed cauliflower, I steamed it in the microwave until it was tender and then put it in the blender with a little water.
I peeled and then boiled the potatoes, then mashed them with my mixer and added the butter, milk, salt, pepper and pureed cauliflower. Then, I added a few pours/shakes of parmesan cheese. (I thought it needed a little something.)

The results--Ryan ate it without a complaint. Jamie ate it, pronounced it delicious and was surprised when I told him about the cauliflower. I also liked it!
Three thumbs up for this one at my house, and I got my family to eat a veggie that they otherwise wouldn't touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment